Betty's Blog

Sunday, May 03, 2009

BMO Vancouver Marathon 2009

Another successful race on a gorgeous morning as the forecast for today was 80% light rain 2 days ago. Awesome race organization with a lot of water/aid station and food for the whole course and at the Finish.

Just this morning, I was very anxious about my half marathon as this was only my second one and believe it or not, my hands were shaky putting up my bib number and only had about 5 hours of sleep last night. I caught up on my sleep after the race but that's not the point. I think after doing the half twice, I'm pretty sure I will be fine with overcoming the anxiety, jitters and difficulty sleeping until I do my first Marathon. Hmm....I don't even want to think about that for now. Let's just enjoy my achievement from today's race.

I felt pretty good and strong out there today despite the "scary" hills up to Prospect Point at Stanley Park. For those who know me, I hate hills!!! But I toughed it out and tackled the hills by slowly trotting up them. Now, I am paying for it because my calves are burning as we speak :( Well, some aches and pains will be expected...I shouldn't be whining as I'm probably feeling the least pain compared to the Marathoners like for instance, Ray...
Today, it was the proudest and emotional moment of my life as I see Ray approaching the Finish with a Boston qualifying and personal best time of 3:14:57. I couldn't hold my tears back seeing him fulfilling his dream!!! Way to go and an awesome finish.

Race Results: I came in 1565th/5996 overall, 571st/3722 for Females and 102nd/613 for my age group with a time of 1:56:35 PB. As for Ray, he finished strong with a time (as mentioned above) of 3:14:57 PB, ranking at 138th/2996 overall, 123rd/1700 for Males and 31st/279 in his age group. Great job!!!!

2 Comments:

At 2:50 AM , Blogger Charles said...

Hi Betty. I just started running and was searching up some races which is how I stumbled onto your blog. Looking at all your runs is making me want to go out and run now. I was just wondering how you find out about all your runs? I've looked all over the net and have looked at pamphlets given out at runs, but there's a lot of runs you've been too that I've missed and never saw.

 
At 8:25 AM , Blogger Betty said...

Glad that my blog is making you want to go out and run :) I belong to a running club called Lions Gate Road Runners (www.lgrr.com)and I hear the different types of races from them and also my fiance is an avid runner who races more than me, also runs with former friends from Rackets & Runners. The next race that he's doing is a trail race on May 31st called Iron Knee 25K (http://runthenorthshore.com/qs/page/6798/3696/-1)which is at the North Shore mountains. Let's just say we know quite a bit of people in the running community. Do you reside here in Vancouver? Anyway, have a good run if you are going out to run now... :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

website-hit-counters.com
website design companies